Recipe Source - Home Cooking Magazine - July 1999
Ingredients for Noodle Dough [serves 5]
300 gm plain flour
1 tbsp tapioca flour [optional]
1 tsp salt
1 egg - lightly beaten
2 tbsp cooking oil
150 ml water [as required]
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Make a hole in the centre, add in the egg and oil.
- Slowly knead the flour mixture into a dough, adding water gradually until it forms a soft dough.
- Shape into a ball, cover to rest for at least 1/2 hour before shaping the mee hoon kueh for a quick preparation [I prepared the dough earlier and refrigerate until needed].
- Flatten the dough and shape into noodles with a noodle maker or pinch the dough into small flat pieces [mee hoon kueh].
- Bring a big pot of water to boil, blanch the mee hoon kueh to cook. When the kueh floats up, it is cooked. Dish up and add to boiling soup to serve.
Ingredients for Mee Hoon Kueh Soup
50 gm anchovies - rinsed and drained
150-200 gm minced meat
3 dried mushrooms - soaked and cut strips
a bunch of sweet leaves [mani chye] or choy sum
1.5 litres water
1 cube ikan bilis stock granules
salt and pepper to taste
some chopped garlic
some chopped spring onions or coriander leaves
- Marinate minced meat with some salt, pepper, sesame oil and cornstarch. Shape into meatballs, set aside.
- Heat up some oil to fry anchovies until golden and crispy. Dish out.
- Using the remaining oil, fry garlic until aromatic, add in the mushrooms.
- Add in the water, bring to boil for several minutes.
- Add in minced meat, seasonings to taste.
- Add in blanched mee hoon kueh and vegetables.
- Once vegetables are cooked, dish out into individual bowls to serve.
- Top noodles with fried anchovies and chopped spring onions/coriander leaves. Serve with cut chilies in soy sauce.
- Air fry the anchovies with sesame oil which makes them really crispy.
- I uses PPC to create the soup broth. "Soup mode" for 30 minutes KPT.
- Try to pinch the dough and stretch it to as thin layer as possible.
- Added 鲍贝 and Roasted Pork for more flavors.